Museums & Historical Sites

 Lassen Online Hotel Reservations


Lassen, CAlifornia Hotels and Resorts

Museums & Historical Sites in Lassen

Our guide to Lassen Museums and Historical Sites  will help you explore Lassen's colorful history.

Scroll down the page or click here to search  Museums  or  Historical Sites.

Featured Lassen Hotels
Featured Lassen Hotels

Lassen Museums


The Big Valley Museum Bieber 

P.O. Box 355 Bieber, CA 96009      (530) 294-5368

The museum features exhibits of pioneer life and Native American artifacts of northeastern California.

Chester/Lake Almanor Museum

200 First Ave, Chester  (530) 258-2742

The museum features a photographic history of the Lake Almanor Basin. It also has a collection of Maidu Indian basketry and artifacts.  The museum is open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

The Coburn-Variel Home

137 Coburn St., Quincy  (530) 283-6320

The circa 1878, three-story Victorian has been fully restored and is furnished with a museum collection that represents a turn-of-the-century middle-class family home.   It's open for tours from May through September.  Call for specific times.

Fort Crook Museum

Fall River Mills  (530) 336-5110

Lassen Historical Museum

105 N. Weatherlow St., Susanville  (530) 257-3292

The museum features antique logging equipment and tools.  Roop's Fort (circa 1854) is adjacent to the museum. It contains pictures of Susanville dating back to the mid 1850's. It also contains Native American artifacts.

Lassen Loomis Museum

38050 Hwy 36E, Mineral  (530) 595-3399

Located near Manzanita Lake, the museum is open weekends from late May to mid June, daily from mid June to late September, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Plumas County Museum

500 Jackson Street, Quincy  (530) 283-6320

The museum's collections include Maidu Indian baskets, pioneer weapons, natural history, and period rooms that depict domestic life in early Plumas County.  The museum also features a blacksmith shop, miner's cabin, and a carriage house with a restored buggy.  The museum operates year-round 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.  May through September, they also operate on  Saturday, Sunday and holidays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Plumas Eureka State Park Museum 310 Johnsville Road, Blairsden  (530) 836-2380

The museum displays mining tools, photographs, pioneer household items, and antique mining equipment.  Other nearby buildings include the five-story Mohawk Stamp Mill, a blacksmith shop, a bunkhouse, and a miner's home. Once a month during the summer, docents don period costumes to recreate a miner's life in 1890.  The State Park is open daily, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the summer. 

Plumas Eureka State Park Museum

Johnsville Road, Graeagle, CA    (530) 836-2380

The Museum is a converted miners' bunkhouse that brings the miners' daily regime to vivid life, with an exhibit of tools, household items, mining machinery, and photographs. Nearby are the old blacksmith shop, where drills were sharpened, and the spectacular remains of the stamp mill,, where steel pistons weighing nearly a half ton smashed bucket loads of ore for the gold--some $18 million worth before the last mine closed in 1943.

Western Pacific Railroad Museum at Portola  

700 Western Pacific Way Portola, CA       (530) 832-4131

Established in 1983 by the Feather River Rail Society, the museum preserves general railroad history, equipment, photos, and artifacts. Visitors can tour an extensive collection of train cars and locomotives.  The Museum is open daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (5 p.m. during summer.)

Westwood Museum

311 Ash, Westwood  (530) 256-2233

The museum displays artifacts and pictures of the town during the heyday of the Red River Lumber Company.  From 1913 to 1956 it was the largest pine lumber mill in the world.

Back To Top >>

Lassen Area Historical Sites

Ancient Trail of the Mountain Maidu Indians

Located between Quincy and Susanville, you can take an auto tour of the 67-mile long Mountain Maidu trail.

Blacks Ridge Lookout

The lookout tower and cab were assembled in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Located only four miles from the small community of Little Valley, the Lookout is at an elevation of 6,037 feet.

The Gallatin House

The Gallatin House was Built in 1913 by Malvena Gallatin.  The home is located one mile east of Gallatin Marina on the southeast shore of Eagle Lake.

Historic Greenville Main Street – Walking Tour

The Greenville City Hall Memorial Museum provides a brochure and map of the historical sites.

Harvey Mountain Lookout

The lookout was constructed on Harvey Mountain in 1935--elevation 7,354 feet.

Humboldt Wagon Road

Most of the Humboldt Wagon Road has been replaced with state and county roads, but you can still see sections of the original road at Humboldt Summit. You can reach this location by following county roads 91422 (Butte County) or 308 (Plumas County) between Butte Meadows and Lake Almanor.

Lily Pond Nature Trail Trailhead: Loomis Museum Parking Area Round trip distance: 1 mile and takes  about 1 hour. Terrain:  It's an easy walk that takes  you through forests and around beautiful mountain lakes.

Ishi Wilderness

The Ishi Wilderness was named after Ishi, the last survivor of the Yahi Yana Indians. The Yahi Yana lived in the area for over 3,000 years before they were eventually exterminated by white settlers. You can access trailheads to the area from roads connecting with Highway 32 at Chico or at Highway 36 at Paynes Creek. Be prepared because it's difficult hiking.

Lassen Emigrant Trail

The trail was used by thousands of emigrants as they traveled to the gold fields in California. Two ways to experience the Lassen Trail now are by driving county road A21 between highways 36 and 44, or by walking the route as it crosses through the Ishi Wilderness.

Mineral Ranger Station

Although the the station's original buildings were replaced in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps, Mineral has been continuously used as a Forest Service administrative site since 1907.

Nobles Emigrant Trail

The volunteer trail organization, Trails West, Inc., has placed 53 markers along the Nobles Trail, beginning at Rabbithole Creek in Nevada's Black Rock Desert and concluding at Old Shasta in Northern California.

Spalding Cabin

Located on the northwest side of Eagle Lake, Noah Spalding settled the 120-acre homestead in 1882 and operated a dairy farm.

West Prospect Peak Lookout - Hat Creek

Built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, it is the highest lookout point in the Lassen National Forest. the The lookout is located one mile north of Lassen Volcanic National Park.

West Prospect Fire Lookout -

Learn how forest fires are detected while enjoying a panoramic view of northern Lassen Park and surrounding Lassen National Forest. Turn off Highway 89 one mile south of Big Pine Campground and travel 12 miles to reach the lookout. Trucks are advised. Open during the summer, seven days a week. Lookout hours are 9:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.

Back To Top >>


Native America Exhibits

A Brief History of the Modoc War

As settling began on Lost River, emigrants demanded that the Modocs be removed from their homes and placed on the Klamath Reservation with the Klamath and Snake Tribes.

Back To Top >>

Back To Top >>